The mission of the Association Communautaire pour la Promotion et Protection des Droits de l'Homme (ACPDH) is to promote and protect human rights through education, training, and research on the UNCRC. ACPDH organises seminars and capacity-building for members. It began its work in Burundi in 2003.
Our Mission is to improve and protect universal human rights in all settings and defend fundamental values in order to build a good society characterized by respect for and promotion of human rights and justice. The primary areas of our work are based on our 11-point strategic plan:
- Promoting and protecting human rights in all dimensions;
- Promoting and protecting the rights of women and children;
- Promoting and protecting the rights to freedom of opinion and expression, conscience and participation in public affairs;
- Supporting conflict prevention and peace building and mediating the consequences of conflict;
- Paying special attention to the needs of older people and children in difficulty, as well as the needs of people with disabilities;
- Fighting against all forms of violence against women and children;
- Sensitising local public structures to integrate the communal emancipation policy to promote the balanced participation of men and women in local consultative bodies (Gender Sensitivity and Promotion-THE GSP);
- Promoting equal opportunities for girls and boys in education and the access to and management of family assets;
- Giving a sustained attention to girls and women in the context of preventive health policy;
- Organising short and long training courses (2-3 weeks) on human rights and democratic citizenship in Burundi; and
- Organising sensitization activities, trainings and educational visits on the values of peace and respect for human rights for internally-displaced people, refugees and returnees in Burundi.