Are you passionate about ensuring that vulnerable conflict-affected boys and girls have increased access to education?
Are you committed to ensuring conflict displaced youth enjoy an improved quality of education?
Do you want to lead the Education programme in one of our biggest humanitarian operations?
NRC Afghanistan is looking for a diligent and committed Education Specialist. Someone who will ensure the programmatic development and quality management of our impact from both educational and protective outcomes. We are looking for someone who can inject a fresh perspective to the current education team and strengthen their skills even further. An experienced education professional who is able to manage and provide technical leadership to an expanding and growing education portfolio.
This is an exciting opportunity to work with our fantastic Education teams around the country, including in some of the worst-affected and most remote provinces in Afghanistan.
If this sounds like you, read below for more details about the position and send us your application today!
Afghanistan remains a protracted and complex emergency. Conflict-induced displacement and recurrent natural disasters occur at the same time as the ongoing return of Afghan refugees from Pakistan and Iran. The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) established operations in Afghanistan in 2003. We respond across Afghanistan, including in hard-to-access provinces, by providing Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance, Education, Shelter, Food & Livelihoods, Camp Management and Emergency programmes.
NRC Afghanistan has a large and evolving humanitarian education portfolio, including Education First Response to forced displacement, community-based accelerated education for internally displaced and returnee boys and girls, psychosocial support to conflict-displaced and refugee boys and girls, and a strong interest in the Protection of Education amid insecurity and conflict. In time, NRC Afghanistan will also focus on the engagement of displaced Afghan youth, particularly through collaboration with Education and Livelihoods competencies.
About the position
The purpose of the Education Specialist position is to take responsibility for the technical development of NRC’s Education programme in Afghanistan, including its strategic direction and quality assurance. The Education Specialist is also responsible for the management of the Education Team in the Programme & Protection Unit, and the capacity development of relevant Educational staff.
- Develop NRC Afghanistan Education strategy and technical guidance.
- Compliance with and adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures.
- Contribute to fundraising, develop and revise funding proposal, budgets and donor reports.
- Identify trends technical standards and donor priorities.
- Follow up on compliance with contractual commitments within Education, ensure high technical quality and synergies in project implementation.
- Provide technical direction and project implementation support.
- Ensure that key learnings are extracted from Education implementation, and incorporate them in Education and staff development processes.
- Provide systematic training and build the capacity of technical staff.
- Represent NRC in relevant forums/clusters, including with national authorities and donors.
- Promote the rights of IDPs/returnees in line with the advocacy strategy.
- Responsible to support technical capacities for Education First Response in and between Area Offices, including a roving support team.
- Contribute to relevant programmatic and advocacy initiatives, particularly the Protection of Education and Child Protection.
Here is the full job description- Education Specialist -NRC Afghanistan
We are looking for:
- Minimum 4 years of experience within technical expertise area in a humanitarian/ recovery context.
- Experience from working in complex and volatile contexts.
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities.
- Experience of accelerated education programmes (desirable).
- Experience with the emergency response or Education First Response (desirable).
- Experience with Protection of Education and Child Protection in Education (desirable).
What we offer:
- An opportunity to make a difference and become part of a dedicated team of humanitarians.
- A genuine place of passion responding to global refugee crises
- 18 months contract.
- Salary/benefits according to NRC’s salary scale and terms and conditions.
- Duty station: Kabul, Afghanistan (with travel to Afghanistan field offices).
- Grade: 9 (See the NRC Global Job Grade )
This position is open to both Afghani nationals and all other nationalities as well. The contract terms will either be the NRC Afghanistan Terms of Employment or the NRC International Staff Terms of Employment.
This is an unaccompanied post/non-family duty station, with shared housing/ accommodation of moderate standard. Due to the unstable security situation, recreational and social facilities are limited. All international staff working and residing in Afghanistan are obliged to pay income tax to the Afghanistan authorities.
An approved health certificate will be requested before contract start. Selected candidate need to provide certified University diplomas prior to applying for a visa to Afghanistan.
How to apply: