Position Title : Programme Officer
Duty Station : Djibouti, Djibouti
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 02 July 2020
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
Candidates from the following non-represented member states:
Antigua and Barbuda; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Cook Islands; Cuba; Fiji; Gabon; Grenada; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People's Democratic Republic (the); Latvia; Libya; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Papua New Guinea; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
The International Organization for Migration (IOM) - the UN Migration Agency - occupies the leading role in supporting Member States in migration management. In Djibouti, IOM implements programmes of assistance to vulnerable migrants, capacity building of governmental institutions, and strengthening the link between migration and development.
In the framework of the Migrants Protection portfolio, IOM is implementing with the support of the European Union, an EU Emergency Trust Fund (EUTF) project to support government in managing migration focusing on promoting health among transit migrants in Djibouti as well as capacity building of governmental counterpart in charge of migration. Specifically, IOM will implement a range of activities to help vulnerable migrants, namely; (1) support to national authorities to better manage the health needs of migrants; (2) capacity building of government health structures to improve the provision of migrant-friendly health care services; (3) support the government and civil society to help the most vulnerable children (including unaccompanied migrant children); (4) capacity building of governmental institution to manage migration.
Under the overall supervision of Chief of Mission (CoM), and the direct supervision of Project Manager (Migration Management) and, the successful candidate will provide necessary support in the implementation of the EUTF project.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Assist in conducting contextual analysis to identify potential activities to be implemented as part of the EUTF project in line with IOM mandate and the priorities established by the government and partners in Djibouti.
Support the overall implementation of the EUTF programme in Djibouti, including its financial, administrative, and technical implementation, in compliance with IOM policies and standards, as well as donor requirements and as per the agreed timeline and deliverables.
Assist the Programme Manager through liaison with government counterparts, service providers and partners in the implementation of services, to vulnerable migrants, refugees and host communities members.
Maintain and regularly update an efficient filling system for all documents, reports, and financial records.
Under the guidance of the Programme Manager closely monitor budget and expenses and follow up on the variances between budget and expenditures/commitments.
In close collaboration with the Resource Management Unit, support the drafting of documents including inter alia official correspondences, Memorandum of Understanding (MoUs), and contracts related to the project.
Support liaison with donors and drafting of donor updates, reports, and proposals.
Support activities/initiatives aimed at ensuring visibility for the EUTF project.
Participate and organize relevant meetings, activities, donor visits, etc as requested by supervisor.
Participate in relevant EUTF programme coordination meetings, meetings with UN and government counterparts, seminars, and other events.
Undertake duty travel as required.
Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Social Sciences, Law, International Relations or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in non-profit and preferably international environment;
- Demonstrated experience in project management, including in the areas of migration health, migrant assistance and child protection, and capacity building for government;
- Experience in the area of monitoring and evaluation and reporting;
- Experience working with UN Common System agencies, particularly on EU-funded projects, would be an advantage;
- Experience working as part of a multicultural team;
- Knowledge on East and Horn of Africa would be an advantage.
- Ability to work effectively with local authorities, academic institutions and the broader community to advance country office objectives;
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office package;
- Ability to manage a varied workload and prioritize tasks, work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
- For this position, fluency in French and English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Spanish is an advantage.
- Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values - all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates endorsed by the Appointments and Postings Board will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 02 July 2020 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: VN 2020 118 Programme Officer (P2) Djibouti, Djibouti (56479535) Released
Posting: Posting NC56479536 (56479536) Released