Start date: 6th April 2020
Duration: One year fixed-term contract initially with an expectation to extend for multiple years.
Contract: Employment contract with Terre des hommes Foundation in Hungary (local contract).
Location: Budapest, with regular travel to Lausanne, Bucharest, Athens, etc.
What we do:
Terre des hommes (Tdh) is the leading Swiss child relief agency. Founded in 1960, we are committed to improving the lives of millions of the world's most vulnerable children. Through our innovative protection and health projects, we provide assistance to over four million children and their families in over forty countries each year.
Tdh Europe has representations in seven European countries (Albania, Greece, Hungary, Kosovo, Moldova, Romania and Ukraine). Working with partners, Terre des hommes implements projects in 12 other countries in Europe. Our two main programmes are Children and Youth in Migration and Access to Justice. Child protection projects are a key feature and many projects have a transversal protection component. ChildHub is a flagship project in Europe and innovation is a key aspect of our work.
More information on these and other projects: https://www.tdh.ch/en/our-interventions/hungary
As Head of Office you are responsible for the direct management of the team based in Budapest, including members of the regional support unit which supports the entire region. Tdh Hungary hosts 14 staff (including four regional managers and advisers) and implements 12 projects totalling CHF 2.8M in 2020. Your key duties are:
Lead the regional support unit (currently known as “U team”);
Lead regional operations (regional projects) working in tandem with the Deputy, fulfilling all legal obligations pertaining to the operations in Hungary.
You will also participate in internal governance mechanisms at regional level and represent Tdh with external stakeholders.
As Head of Office, you work closely with two Heads of Delegations (Head of Eastern Europe delegation based in Bucharest, Head of Southern Europe delegation based in Athens) as peers/colleagues and the Desk Manager based in Lausanne, forming a Regional Supervisory Board. You directly supervise the regional support unit (Regional Resource Mobilisation Adviser; Regional Child Protection & Safeguarding Adviser; Regional Communications Adviser, Regional Quality and Accountability Adviser; Regional ICT4D Adviser) and regional operations: Deputy Head of Office (also in charge of ChildHub), Finance and Admin Manager; Consultants; Interns. You provide support/functional supervision to two regional programme colleagues: Regional Programme Manager Children and Youth in Migration Programme; Regional Programme Manager Access to Justice Programme.
Specific responsibilities with regards to regional support (all of Europe):
You lead the regional support unit composed of the Regional Resource Mobilisation Adviser in charge of fundraising; Regional Child Protection/Safeguarding Adviser; Regional Communications Adviser, Regional Quality and Accountability Adviser, Regional ICT4D Adviser. This responsibility includes convening, facilitating and documenting regular team meetings, creating a support schedule and delivering consistent qualitative support to all entities.
Specific responsibilities with regards to regional operations:
- Working closely with the Regional Resource Mobilisation Adviser, lead fundraising efforts for the office in coordination with the two Heads of delegation.
- Goal: continue to deliver qualitative, well-funded regional projects.
- Take part in the development and definition of Tdh strategies and manage implementation. To ensure the analysis of the contexts of intervention and bring up global and regional trends. This responsibility is exercised as part of a regional governance mechanism, the Regional Supervisory Board.
- Goal: To participate in the definition of the next Tdh strategic plans (global and regional).
- To steer and ensure the qualitative implementation of the programmes in the area, while respecting the means and frameworks in place, with innovative practices.
- Goal: To allow for optimal quality and impact of interventions.
- To represent Tdh (including legally) in Hungary and promote the globality of its mandate in the countries of intervention in close coordination with the Regional Steering Board.
- Goal: To make sure the implementation opportunities of the global mandate are taken into account.
- To ensure proper financial stewardship, supervising and supporting the Finance and Admin Manager; Create and guarantee the implementation of the annual Plan of Action (PoA) while complying with the strategic planning and the internal processes (budget management, finance, HR and logistics, quality and accountability).
- Goal: To optimize the impact of the programmes on beneficiaries.
- To guarantee the implementation of an operational risk management system in the Office.
- Goal: Security and safety of people and goods, prevention of risks, prevention of abuse and fraud.
- To manage the teams in the office.
- Goal: To develop the autonomy and performance of the teams.
- To ensure the internal and external communication of the office.
- Goal: To promote Terre des hommes and its actions.
Education / Qualifications: University degree in relevant fields.
Experience: At least 7 years previous experience of seniority in an NGO, IGO or other international organisations at a management position in the field and/or in a similar context.
Experience in development work, not only emergencies. Experience in innovations, e.g. the development of online communities similar to www.childhub.org would be an asset.
Successful track record of developing development strategies and securing significant levels of funding from institutional donors (EU, SDC, DFID, GiZ, US donors, Foundations, UN, etc.).
Extensive project management experience (management, budgeting, grants management, planning, staff development and training skills) in emergency and or development contexts.
Management experience (including management of middle-size teams) and strong team leadership qualities Experience in leading teams across countries (remote management).
Knowledge of child protection, migration, access to justice are strong assets.
Ability to work well under pressure.
A commitment to excellence and attention to detail.
Excellent oral and writing skills in English with at least a passive knowledge of French. Other regional languages a strong asset.
Other Competencies Required:
Manages time and priorities, meets deadlines.
Cooperates and contributes to achieving goals.
Shows determination and proactivity.
Supports and advises colleagues.
Adapts communication to the intercultural environment.
Ability to establish an environment of cooperation and collaboration.
Results-oriented and problem-solving skills.
Experience in contributing to projects with team members located in several countries.
Contract conditions: One year fixed-term contract initially. Compensation between HUF 1’476’000 and HUF 1’662’000 gross, extensive private medical insurance (in addition to state insurance), additional fringe benefit. This is not an expatriate contract nor an accompanied position.
How to apply:
Please send a recent CV and a short Letter of Motivation to the email below by 29th February 2020 COB.
Send all documents (in English) to email@example.com
Please include “Head of Office” in the subject line.
Child Safeguarding Policy:
Tdh (including staff members, contractors, consultants) are committed to respect Tdh Risk Management Policies including: Child Safeguarding Policy, Safety and Security Policy and Anti-Fraud/Corruption Policy, Whistle Blowing Policy. Due to the high numbers of applications, Tdh is not in a position to respond to everyone individually. Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.