Closing date: 01 Apr 2019
Job title: Social Worker Interns (2 Positions)
Duration: 6 Months
Reporting to: BID Specialist
HIAS is an international nonprofit organization with a vision for a world in which refugees, displaced persons and asylum seekers find welcome, safety and freedom. HIAS operation in Kenya was established in 2002 with the mission to serve the most vulnerable refugees through protection, resilience, economic inclusion and provision of durable solutions.
HIAS seeks to recruit a Social worker who will assist in provision of social interventions and assistance to the most at risk and vulnerable refugee clients and children. The social workers interns will be required to conduct assessments and case management including follow up to ensure clients and children are receiving the services allocate.
Main Duties & Responsibilities
· Assist in the identification of refugee children who are in need of care and protection, UASC, and other vulnerable children
· Assist in identification of refugee children in need of social support such as financial assistance, medical assistance, birth registration, legal protection and family tracing.
· Conduct best interests assessment and keep track of recommendations
· Identify children who require psychosocial support and link them with the counsellors for timely support
· Make regular home visits to assess the needs and progress of vulnerable children and children at risk.
· Assist in outreach and community dialogue activities on issues related to child abuse and other children with special needs
· Assist in conducting referrals of vulnerable refugee children to partner agencies and follow up with clients to facilitate access to external services.
· Prepare summaries for presentation in psychosocial panel, effect subsequent panel decisions and enter data into data base, give feedback to refugees
· Monitor to ensure social assistance is reaching out to vulnerable refugee children and family
· Open files for all clients (soft and hard) and ensure that case management is in line with HIAS SOPs and other sector standards
· Carry out weekly and monthly identification of potential foster parents, assess and train those who meet the criteria in readiness for assigning of foster children
· Assist in assessing, identifying and analyzing community sensitive intervention geared towards building resilience and self-reliance
· Establish and maintain networks with existing community structures and other partners for referral and networking purposes
· Perform other related duties as assigned
· A university degree in Social Work or any related field in social science.
· At least 2 years working experience including one year in counseling or social work preferably in the NGO setting.
Skills & Competencies
· Knowledge of Computer Applications such as Ms-ACCESS, Ms-EXCEL, and Ms-WORD
· Good knowledge of human rights doctrine and working experience in counseling
· Experience in capacity building including facilitation of community based training and awareness raising
· Good knowledge of Child rights and issues related to prevention and response to Sexual and Gender Based Violence (SGBV)
· Good knowledge of Nairobi and its environs
· Strong interpersonal and communication skills
· Working experience with refugees an added advantage.
How to apply:
Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com indicate the job title in the subject line. Closing Date: 1st April 2019 5.00pm
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification. Late applications will not be considered.
HRTK is an equal opportunity employer.