Organization: Refugee Consortium of Kenya
Closing date: 10 May 2019
Terms of Reference
1.1 Refugee Consortium of Kenya (RCK)
RCK is a national NGO that was established in 1998 in response to the increasingly complex refugee situation in Kenya. RCK’s mission is to protect and promote the rights and dignity of refugees, IDPs and other forced migrants through enabling programs of legal aid, awareness creation and advocacy. RCK services include:
i) Provision of legal aid services through representation in the Kenyan courts of law, police stations and other detention facilities on asylum and immigration related matters, sexual and gender based violence and custody and guardianship related cases affecting refugees and other forced migrants including the host communities; legal counselling and psychosocial counselling to refugees, asylum seekers, IDPs and host communities
ii) Advocacy initiatives towards development of refugee/IDPs friendly policies and laws
iii) Protection and monitoring of refugee rights and their dignity through research, documentation and dissemination of information
iv) Capacity building for refugees, other forced migrants and key stakeholders who interact with forced migrants and host community members on a day to day basis.
RCK has secured a three-year funding in support of its activities in the area of response and prevention of violence against women and girls (VAWG). The goal of the project is to ensure better protection of refugees and vulnerable women and girls in hosting communities experiencing physical and sexual violence. This will be achieved by increasing the capacity of various stakeholders and duty bearers to prevent and respond to VAWG through structured dialogue, psychoeducation sessions, legal counselling and legal representation in courts and police stations.
The organization wishes to hire legal professionals as consultants to support the internal pool of advocates in providing legal aid services to refugees and host communities as per its mandate. The consultants are expected to work closely with RCK staff in the delivery of the project goals and objectives.
2.0 OBJECTIVES OF THE CONSULTANCY
The consultant shall ensure:
i. Refugees and host community members who come to RCK for assistance are adequately served as per the organization’s standards.
ii. Provide monthly reports on refugee status and legal protection needs of refugees and host community members in Garissa.
iii. Refugees are represented in courts of law and police stations.
iv. Training and community forums for staff members, duty bearers and stakeholders in refugee, and host community on protection and response to VAWG held as planned.
v. Appropriate referrals and recommendations are made to other agencies that work with RCK in refugee protection.
vi. Community forums for duty bearers and Persons of Concern when called upon to do so.
3.0 DESCRIPTION OF TASKS
· Provide legal information and representation to primary beneficiaries of RCK at courts of law and police stations in Garissa within 6 months of the project inception.
· Support in organization of community awareness forums targeting community members in Garissa (anti-VAGW champions, community leaders and other members) on VAWG prevention and response
· Support in organization of psychoeducation forum targeting community members.
· Participate in development and distribution of IEC materials on VAWG prevention and response and refugee protection
· Participate in organization of training session for court users committees, law enforcement and health professionals.
· Take lead in mobilization and training of translators facilitate communication with women and girls at the legal aid clinics, courts of law and the police station
· Participate and provide support in training/refresher sessions for community based counsellors on psychological first aid (PFA).
· Participate and support debriefing sessions for staff to address secondary trauma
· Participate and support the training of women on entrepreneurship skills
· Attend to clients at the legal aid clinic and assess cases for intervention.
· Prepare legal briefs and studies on a variety of legal issues and instruments.
· Update and manage the client databases in RCKs systems.
· Prepare monthly reports and donor related reports within schedule.
· Such other duties temporarily or on a continuing basis, as may reasonably be required.
· Note, specific targets shall be shared at contractual stage.
4.0 EXPECTED DELIVERABLES AND OUTPUTS
The shortlisted consultant is therefore expected to provide the following deliverables:
Deliverable 1: Provide monthly Work plan in line with RCK’s operations Strategic plan and project objectives and targets as shall be agreed with RCK.
Deliverable 2: Monthly project progress implementation reports by 25th of every month as per agreed project targets and accompanied by monthly Time Sheets.
Deliverable 3: Weekly reports that include meeting reports, court attendance reports, legal clinic reports, police station and other detention center’s attendance reports, meeting reports and training reports.
Deliverable 4: Satisfactory quarterly and bi annual consultancy reports as per the donor reporting dates and RCK operational requirements.
Deliverable 5: Satisfactory annual consultancy reports as per the donor reporting dates and RCK operational requirements.
5.0 CONSULTANCY TIME FRAME This consultancy covers a period of 6 months starting from 1st May 2019. The consultancy is renewable subject to performance and availability of funds as supported by the donor.
6.0 REQUIRED EXPERTISE
Bachelor’s degree in Law
Advocate of the High Court of Kenya with a current practicing certificate.
Provide certificate of good conduct.
1. Experience in child protection and women and girls protection (GBV prevention and response)
2. At least one year experience in civil and criminal litigation
3. Experience working with a non-governmental organization (NGO) or in the humanitarian field is an added advantage.
Fluency in English and Kiswahili
6.4 Behavior Competencies:
· Professionalism: In-depth theoretical knowledge of and significant experience in relevant fields of legal counseling, Strong analytical, problem solving and drafting skills. Discretion and sound judgment in applying legal expertise to sensitive, complex legal issues.
· Communication: Strong interpersonal and communication (written, spoken and presentational) skills. Proficiency in English and Kiswahili.
· Technology Awareness: Fully proficient computer skills and ability to use relevant software applications, in particular information databases, internet/intranet services, library sources, etc.
· Teamwork: Ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds with respect for diversity.
· Managing Performance: Ability to supervise, coach, mentor and develop junior staff as required
7.0 REPORTING LINE
· The consultant shall report directly to the Assistant Program Manager, Garissa office.
· He/ She shall work closely with Assistant Project Officers– Legal, with peer lines to APOs, Nairobi, Dadaab, Garissa and Kakuma.
· S/he will refer any matters of the contract to Finance and Admin Office;
· S/he may be assigned interns, volunteers, CBCs, translators and monitors.
How to apply:
8.0 SUBMISSIONS OF THE PROPOSALS
Applicants should send a brief cover letter explaining their qualification and motivation
for the position; and how their experience is relevant to the position.
All applications should be sent to Email: email@example.com
by Friday, 10th May 2019 at 5.00 pm,
With the Title, “Legal Services Consultancy” on the subject line.
The vacancy shall however remain open until filled. All applicants must meet the minimum requirements described above, and those unable to meet these requirements will not be considered. Companies are not eligible to apply as consultants for this call.
Interested consultancy persons are invited to submit their bids in the following format:
· Brief Biography of the candidate (maximum 0.5 pages)
· Short motivation letter
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. RCK reserves the right to select and work with suitable candidate as it deems fit.