Girls Not Brides is seeking a Policy and Member Engagement Officer for Latin America and the Caribbean to work with the Head of Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC) Engagement in coordinating outreach to civil society, spearhead engagement with governments, institutions and stakeholders, and play a key role in the implementation of Girls Not Brides’ strategy in the region. The successful candidate will be bilingual (English and Spanish) and will be based in Mexico City.
Contract: Self-employed consultancy for 12 months (with the possibility of extension)
Benefits: £24,000-£30,000 per year, depending upon experience, plus 10% contribution towards a private pension and a contribution towards private health insurance
Place of work: Mexico City, with international travel. Candidates must have a valid visa or permit that allows placement/work in Mexico
Accountable to: Head of LAC (or such other position as Girls Not Brides may determine)
Monitor and analyse major policy developments related to child marriage in the region:
- Monitor, analyse and document policy developments and opportunities relating to child, early and forced marriage and unions in selected focus countries, identifying lessons learned and drivers of progress, including through regular liaison with Girls Not Brides members, partner organisations and national coalitions, and trips to focus countries.
- Write briefs, blogs posts and other materials with recommendations and developments in the region.
- Monitor regional and national research and share it with the secretariat and members.
Support members in the region and promote joint action:
- Ensure that global lessons-learned and approaches inform the work of members and partners in the region.
- Provide technical and strategic assistance to Girls Not Brides’ members, national coalitions and partnerships, and other CSO groups working to address child marriage in selected countries in the region.
- Working closely with the different teams in the secretariat, provide critical support to strengthening the capacity of Girls Not Brides members, National Partnerships and coalitions, and partner civil society networks to successfully take part in policy change and gender transformative programmes in their countries.
- Encourage and facilitate information-sharing, learning and joint activities between members, including by supporting and co-organising meetings, webinars and conference calls of members.
Support the LAC team to establish and develop Girls Not Brides’ presence, visibility and credibility in the region:
- Support the expansion and strengthening of Girls Not Brides’ membership in the region.
- With the Head of LAC, establish and strengthen strategic partnerships with key stakeholders, sub-regional, regional and international actors and development partners working in the region.
- Support the Head of LAC in developing and implementing advocacy strategies and initiatives aiming at maintaining child marriage on the agenda of relevant regional processes and institutions.
- Assist members in understanding how to use intergovernmental regional processes and commitments to spur government action on child marriage.
- Contribute to the increased visibility of Girls Not Brides members work across the region, and an increased understanding of their work within the secretariat.
Contribute to the broader Girls Not Brides strategic, programmatic and communications work with the regional perspective, where possible and as appropriate:
- Inform the global activities of Girls Not Brides with knowledge of the regional context and the perspective of members from the region.
- Support the secretariat to adapt strategies and materials to the regional context.
- Represent Girls Not Brides at external meetings and events, as required.
- Provide input into relevant funding applications and reporting to donors, as needed.
Wider responsibilities of Girls Not Brides team members:
- Commit to the mission and vision of Girls Not Brides, putting them at the forefront of all planning, work and actions.
- Uphold the core values of Girls Not Brides in all areas of work and interactions with colleagues, members, partners and other stakeholders.
- Comply with Girls Not Brides policies and processes, with particular note for safeguarding, the code of conduct and data protection.
- Ensure that internal databases and monitoring information are kept fully up-to-date.
- Commit to ongoing personal development and learning.
- Fulfil any other reasonable requests for the advancement of Girls Not Brides.
We are looking for bilingual (Spanish and English) candidates with the following qualifications and skills:
- Degree in a relevant area (such as public policy, development studies, Latin American studies, international relations, human rights or gender issues) or proven experience in a related field.
- Demonstrated experience with policy analysis and advocacy on issues relating to Latin America; experience working with coalitions in Latin America and an understanding of child, early and forced marriage and unions and of the key players in the women’s and children’s rights fields is highly desirable.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement advocacy strategies.
- Fluent spoken and written English and Spanish communication skills, with an eye for detail; Portuguese language skills desirable.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and execute projects on time and on budget.
- Ability to develop effective working relationships in multicultural environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills, and ability to empower and inspire others.
- Excellent project planning and project management skills; demonstrated ability to plan and execute projects on time and on budget, to meet tight deadlines and juggle multiple priorities, and to resolve problems and adapt plans if required.
- Ability to work pro-actively in a remote office with minimal supervision, meet deadlines and manage multiple priorities.
- Ability to resolve problems and adapt plans as required.
- Ability to use discretion and maintain confidentiality.
- Proficiency in recent versions of Microsoft Office suite, knowledge of Salesforce, Float and Basecamp desirable.
- Strong commitment to the rights and protection of young people and vulnerable people.
- Skilled team worker with an inclusive and collaboration approach, in line with Girls Not Brides.
- Willingness to work flexibly and travel internationally (up to 30% of time), as necessary.
At Girls Not Brides, we are committed to the wellbeing, empowerment and rights of children, and to safeguarding children from harm in all of our activities. Girls Not Brides aims to promote an environment of trust and understanding where the welfare of children is paramount. You will adhere to the Girls Not Brides Child Safeguarding Policy and its Code of Conduct and report any concerns relating to the safeguarding of children in accordance with agreed procedures.
Our core values:
How to apply:
We are an equal opportunities employer and we welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons. To apply, please send your CV and a brief cover letter demonstrating how you meet the criteria for this position to recruitment@GirlsNotBrides.org by 23:00 GMT on Friday 14th February 2020 clearly stating “Policy and Member Engagement Officer for LAC” and your name in the subject line. Candidates will need to have the authorisation to work and reside in Mexico.
We regret that due to the large number of applications anticipated, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.