Terms of reference:
Duty station: Damascus
Starting date: 01/04/2020
Contract duration: 12 months
Reporting to: Head of Emergency Unit
Supervision of: 4 expat staff and 30 national staff
General context of the project:
INTERSOS is a non-profit humanitarian aid organization that works to bring assistance to people in danger, victims of natural disasters and armed conflicts.
INTERSOS has signed an MoU with SARC in May 2019 to operate in Syria. INTERSOS has a consolidated presence in the region (Lebanon, Iraq and Jordan) whit a multi sector program focused on the humanitarian assistance of Syrian refugees located in urban and rural areas. INTERSOS is now setting up its presence in Syria mainly focusing in protection, education and primary health sectors with the objective to strengthen related basic services to vulnerable people in different areas of the country.
A first project is implemented with AICS funds with education in emergency and child protection as main sectors of intervention; negotiation with different international and national agencies are on going in order to enlarge the program.
E-Unit and other HQ departments are supporting the setting up of the Syrian mission also making available experts coming from the region in order to have the technical part properly addressed.
The HoM will work in strong coordination with the E-Unit team and the technical departments in HQ.
General purpose of the position:
The general purpose of the post is to represent INTERSOS in Syria and act in accordance with specific directions from and supervision of the Emergency Unit.
Main responsibilities and tasks:
- Establish and maintain collaborative relations with Local Authorities and Institutions, Donors, International Agencies, NGOs, partners and other stakeholders;
- Follow up, guarantee and monitor government recognition procedures for the organization in compliance with the host country formalities (SARC Office);
- Define, in coordination with the country team and E-Unit team in HQ, country priorities based on context and needs analyses; monitor donor intervention strategies in the country; design, promote and elaborate new interventions;
- Define strategic priorities for the development and set up of the mission structure;
- Continuously assess, analyse and evaluate new areas of intervention in Syria especially in the North Western Regions;
- Conduct frequent mission to the field in order to ensure proper activities supervision and coordination with stakeholders and with the authorities;
- Support the definition of the mission financial plan, ensuring self-sufficiency and consistency of expenses, and assume responsibility for the mission funds management, including bank accounts;
- Coordinate, guide and supervise the mission staff, and evaluate their performance;
- Proactively participate in relevant coordination and strategic meeting at Damascus level.
Required profile and experience:
- Advanced university degree.
- A first level university degree with a relevant combination of academic qualifications and experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- At least 5 years of professional work experience as Head of Mission or other management/ coordination positions in humanitarian/development contexts;
- Knowledge of the regional coordination mechanism;
- Previous experience in Middle East region is an asset;
- Proven experience in management of EU, UN, AICS and ECHO funds;
- Remote control experience is an asset as well as risk management knowledge.
- Strong and proven understanding of the humanitarian operating context, the humanitarian system and its flexibility, donors and their high demanding, security and financial management in humanitarian context;
- Strong knowledge of donor’s procedures notably UN agencies (UNHCR, OCHA, UNICEF), AICS and ECHO;
- Very strong skills in computer (excel) and admin/finance procedures;
- Highly able to keep confidentiality;
- Able to work independently and under stress;
- Organization skills, delegative and empowerment approach of the supervised team;
- Demonstrated leadership and interpersonal skills;
- Readiness to commit and adhere to the values, mission and vision of INTERSOS.
- English compulsory;
- Arabic is an advantage.
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills with analytic approach;
- Excellent communication and negotiations skills, both oral and written;
- Demonstrated ability to establish effective working relations with staff, beneficiaries and other stakeholders;
- Ability to work in a complex environment within multi-ethnic and multicultural teams.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to apply following the link below:
Please note that our application process is made of 3 quick steps: register (including your name, email, password, citizenship and Skype address), sign-up and apply attaching your CV and motivation letter in PDF format. Through the platform, candidates will be able to track their applications’ history with INTERSOS.
In case you encounter severe difficulties applying through the platform, you can send an email attaching your CV and motivation letter (both in PDF version) via email to email@example.com, with subject line: “Platform issue – SR-53-1275 – Head of Mission - Syria”.
Please also mention the name, position and contact details of at least two references, including the line manager during your last job. Family members are to be excluded.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.