Organization: UN High Commissioner for Refugees
Closing date: 13 Mar 2019
United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Representation in Thailand
Vacancy Announcement No. 10/2019
Position Title: Interpreter/Protection Clerk
Post Level: Equivalent to GS-3
Post No.: -
Report To: Field Associate
Section: Protection Unit
Duty Station: Mae Sot, Thailand
Contractual Status: Local Individual Contractor Agreement (UNOPS)
Date Issued of the Vacancy Announcement: 27 February 2019
Closing Date of the Vacancy Announcement: 13 March 2019
Availability of the Position As soon as possible
Duties and Responsibilities
· Provide interpretation/translation for staff members as needed.
· Assist the Field Associate/Assistant Protection Officer in police and legal proceedings involving refugees and to interpret in Burmese, Karen, Thai and English for individuals involved in protection cases.
· Assist in liaison with the refugee leaders on individual cases and protection issues.
· Assist in organizing and conducting awareness raising activities on core UNHCR issues, primarily SGBV, as well as child protection and durable solutions, particularly voluntary repatriation.
· Support focus group discussions in the camps.
· Assist in preparing and disseminating information for refugees, particularly in relation to the situation in Myanmar and future durable solutions.
· Conduct simple follow up on protection cases, under the close guidance of the Field Associate and the Assistant Protection Officer.
· Assist the resettlement/durable solutions unit in identifying and interviewing individuals interested in resettlement and in providing basic resettlement-related counseling.
· Assist the district/provincial registration teams with monthly registration updates in camp.
· Update proGres database and physical files with relevant case information and developments, including on resettlement status, birth registration, etc
Qualifications and Required Competencies
· Post-secondary training/certificate in Secretarial Work, Translation, Legal/Protection, Social Work and/or related field.
· Three years professional experiences relevant to the function.
· Familiarity with the refugee camps and the background and context of the Myanmar refugees in Thailand
· Fluency in written and spoken Burmese, Karen, and English required. Fluency in written and spoken Thai is desirable.
· Demonstrated sensitivity in dealing with vulnerable refugees and knowledge of the basic principles of casework such as confidentiality and survivor choice
· Good communication skills, particularly for communicating with refugees in the camp setting
· Prior experience in interpretation/translation and facilitating training is desirable.
How to apply:
Please submit your Motivation Letter, P.11 form, Curriculum Vitae and a copy of official ID card/national passport indicating the vacancy announcement number and position title to: THABAHR@unhcr.org.
Candidates who are not Thai nationals are required to submit with their application evidence of their right to work in Thailand.
Only candidates under positive consideration will be contacted for a written test and/or interview.
UNHCR/P.11 and supplementary forms can be downloaded from: https://www.unhcr.or.th/sites/default/files/u11/P11_UNHCR.docm and https://www.unhcr.or.th/sites/default/files/u11/P11SUP_UNHCR.docm