Organization: Girl Effect
Country: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Closing date: 09 Mar 2019
Who We Are
Girl Effect builds youth brands and mobile platforms to empower girls to change their lives
We’re a creative non-profit empowering girls to change their lives. Started by the Nike Foundation, we are experts in media, mobile, brand and international development: a unique mix of skills that we use to solve global problems in a different way.
We work across the world in places where girls are marginalised and vulnerable. We create youth brands and mobile platforms for young people in ways they love and interact with. We deliver these through the media and mobile tech they use every day – from apps that build skills, to TV dramas that explore vital issues, to magazines written by girls.
Context of the Role
The post holder will support the mainstreaming and strengthening of Safeguarding across Girl Effect. The remit of the post holder includes supporting the overall development, implementation and monitoring of organisational Safeguarding policies and practice, provide in-depth support to country Safeguarding teams in embedding safeguarding throughout all our work and working with other teams to ensure our Safeguarding approach responds to the dynamic and evolving interventions developed across the organisation.
What You’ll Do
Support the development, implementation and updating of Safeguarding policies and procedures across the organisation. This includes:
- Support to implementing the Safeguarding policy across all functions, promoting a culture where the safety of children and young people is at the heart of everything we do.
- Policy reviews as part of annual self-assessments or on an ad hoc request from other functions.
- Develop guidance and other materials to help all staff implement safeguarding policies and procedures across all our brands, products and channels; develop and deliver training as required.
- Support functions to ensure that Girl Effect has strong measures in place to ensure digital safety and data protection, including compliance with GDPR, as required.
- Ensure reporting and response procedures are followed in GE countries and products
- Ensure appropriate reporting and response procedures are in place at a country and global level and that these reflect the legal and cultural context in which teams are operating.
- Ensure that a mapping of the child protection context has been conducted in all countries of operation and that these are updated on an annual basis.
- In collaboration with in-country Safeguarding teams, build relationships and develop referral pathways with key protection agencies to ensure that GE provides safe and effective signposting to children and young people in need of protection.
- Ensure that confidential records of safeguarding concerns for countries and products are maintained and that appropriate follow-up is conducted.
Support to county-level Safeguarding teams:
Girl Effect has offices in Ethiopia, Malawai, Nigeria, Rwanda and India, and a strong presence in Tanzania, Bangladesh and the US
- Provide technical backstopping and support to country level Safeguarding teams to ensure the policy is adapted and delivered against.
- Provide capacity building to country Safeguarding teams, ensuring they have the skills and confidence to deliver safeguarding in their respective country contexts, including digital safety privacy and security and safe digital engagement of children and young people.
- Support Safeguarding teams to conduct an annual safeguarding self-assessment and then develop a detailed work plan to address gaps and reduce organisational risk.
Act as Safeguarding focal point for London managed products:
- Collaborate with product teams to ensure that Safeguarding is integrated in the design and delivery of activities.
- Support the development of new initiatives to ensure that safety is embedded in the design and development of new innovations.
- Ensure that product Safeguarding Focal Points apply the safeguarding policy and procedure to implementation through support and technical backstopping.
- Build the organisation’s expertise on digital Safeguarding and embed across teams and countries.
Ensure that Girl Effect’s work is informed by, and contributes to best practice and innovations and within the sector:
- Create internal spaces for learning from practice to ensure that experience informs development and innovation.
- Maintain an up-to-date knowledge of research, best practice and new innovations in the area of Safeguarding, particularly digital engagement, digital safety, privacy and security
- Provide best practice Safeguarding examples to the Girl Effect team
- Participate in networks and knowledge sharing forums focused on Safeguarding best practice
- Proactively seek opportunities to share GE’s learning and innovations in the area of Safeguarding
Who You Are
- Knowledge and experience of applying child protection and Safeguarding approaches into international development programming
- Experience in developing and implementing organizational Safeguarding policies and procedures in an international development context
- Experience supporting country officers/ partners in the Global South to implement Safeguarding measures
- Experience of women or girl centred programming
- Experience identifying networks and building relationships with other agencies
- Strong inter-personal skills and awareness, particularly in cross cultural contexts
- Proactive, solution-focused approach
- Strong influencing skills with an ability to work across departments
- Ability to support staff remotely
- Good teamwork skills
- Ability to mentor and support staff remotely and apply global policies local contexts
- Ability to manage conflict and handle sensitive issues
- Strong communication skills both written and verbal
- Ability to be flexible within a fast paced, changing environment
- University degree in social work, social sciences or related discipline
- Commitment to realising the potential of girls and to the vision and values of Girl Effect
What Else You Should Know
As we continue to scale and grow - we are hugely ambitious for our future and we are looking for people who are driven by this to change the world for girls.
Our teams are a diverse mix across sectors (non-profit and commercial) and specialisms (from Brand and Creative through to Gender and Insight). You’ll learn and grow in an environment that will challenge you to think and work with a fresh perspective.
At Girl Effect, you can expect to work somewhere where you will be stretched and developed in your role, a place where you can build your career and work with talented, engaged people committed to our cause to create a lasting impact.
How to apply:
Alternatively email firstname.lastname@example.org for an informal conversation about the opportunity.